Friday, September 5, 2008

Infested waters: Scott's battle with the Portuguese Man of War

Some people think I'm crazy letting my babies crawl around at the beach. I used to laugh and say, "how much damage can eating sand really do?"We've been going to the beach pretty much every weekend for 4 years and haven't had a problem. Well, apparently there are other dangers at the beach that I learned about the hard way last weekend. 'Tis the season of the Portuguese Man of War. They are washing up on beaches everywhere here. Scott discovered one in his sand exploration at Coconut Point. Now, before you call CPS, hear me out. He was at my feet when the waling began. It was the mom's-worst-nightmare scream. I saw what it was almost instantly. A little blue blob stuck to his leg. I was just talking to someone who had spotted one up the beach a bit.
Thanks to everyone knowing everyone on the island and our frequent get-togethers, we had 2 ER docs, a marine biologist and all my wonderful friends on hand to help. Thank you all very much. It was a terrifying experience that I would not have managed well alone. We got him to loaded him up with Benadryl, soaked him in warm water, alcohol and vinegar, even shaved him and got him to the ER, where he was his happy playful self again of course. So if you chance to come upon one of these little guys, steer clear. The pain is excruciating. For the proper course of action in case of contact visit Hazardous Marine Life and webMD . Wear your shoes out there and don't let your babies loose on the beach!

2 comments:

Sean, Jessi and Jaydn Coletti said...

Carol! THAT must have been terrible! I'm SO glad that he was okay! You can put that up as one of your worst experiences as a mother! I've never seen those before- they must have not been out much while we were there.
That's great that you went to Upolu. The pictures are beautiful. I have to tell you that I have been eating all kinds of Indian food for the last 5 months. My sister's fiance is from Sri Lanke, and they eat so much of the same food as the people in India, and he cooks for us all about once a week. I always think of you when I eat it, and how much you would love it. I wish I coudl send you some! I hope you enjoy your last month there- let me know your new address/phone once you get to TN. It is much easier to call there than AS! Love Jessi

arachesostufo said...

wow... you live in a paradise...
ciao da Venezia